I went swimming 3 times this week:
1) Monday- 25 minutes before work. 25 laps.
2) Saturday- 50 minutes/ 50 laps
3) Sunday- 50 minutes/ 50 laps (After 30 minutes of Zumba)
Pros:
- I have fun and time flies
- Swimming has the ability to quiet my mind and relax me. Over the summer I began to continuously say the lap number I'm on in my head- its my mantra in a sense and keeps my mind from wandering. Plus allows me to keep track!
- Swimming is the only sport I've done since I was a child, it brings back fond memories. I'm also surprised at my ability to remember strokes and techniques after 10 years. When I first moved to upstate NY, I had signed up for the swim team. After talking to the swim coach, I got cold feet and decided I wasn't good enough. That was when I gave up swimming laps.
Cons:
- Timely
- Effect on my hair!
- Effect on my skin
- Lower back hurts during breast stroke
While I was swimming today, I realized that I didn't even look up if I was going about this the right way. I just jumped into the pool and winged it. I alternate between freestyle, breast stroke, freestyle, back stroke every two laps. Went right home to do some research on how to solve the problems and ensure weight loss.
Timeliness: I just need to plan ahead. Pack the night before and remember to unpack before bed so the swim suit has a chance to dry. I did buy a wet bag to keep my whole gym bag from stinking of chlorine and getting wet.
Hair Care: (My biggest concern) A few summers ago, I tried an at home highlight kit. I messed it up and ruined my hair. After lots of hair therapy and time, I got it back to healthy. The past few months, I've even reduced heat styling to once or twice a week. I need to make sure the chlorine doesn't win after all the effort I've been putting into my hair. Hair tricks I've learned via various internet sources.
1. Wet hair thoroughly before putting on a swim cap. (if its saturated with tap water, it's less likely to have room to soak up chlorinated water.
2. Apply leave in conditioner to add an extra layer of protection.
3. Then put on your swim cap... (wish there were seal tight versions to avoid this whole ordeal)
4. Shampoo with chlorine remove shampoo (on the way by wednesday!)
5. Follow with my regular conditioner and leave in!
If this doesn't work. I'll need to get a hair mask or something.
Skin Care: Get back to daily use of lotion!
Weight loss: There was research conducted in the past about swimming versus cycling and running. Those you swam gained an average of 5 pounds while those you cycled or ran lost an average of 17--yikes!
There could have been many contributing factors... such as gaining lean muscle. Swimming is a cardiovascular and strength training activity simultaneously. The water also lowers body temperature and therefore metabolic rate, reducing use of calories and increasing need for calories after swimming. It was advised to end a swim in the whirlpool, sauna or steam room to elevate body temperature. Also consider having warm tea after a workout. I haven't had any of these problems yet... but a side effect of my current medication for ADHD is appetite suppressant. I'll have to be extra careful and continuously log my calories. They also advise interval training and alternating strokes, because moderate swimming could be the equivalent of a slow walk (...what!). The suggested workout isn't very different from what I was doing, I just need to push harder in the middle and end. Also they encourage not to use swimming as the only form of cardio. Mix in "land-based cardio" and strength training.
Next Week's Exercise Plan:
Monday- OFF
Tuesday- 30 minutes Jog plus personal training session
Wednesday- Swim
Thursday- Jog plus swim
Friday- Jog plus personal training session
Saturday- OFF
Sunday- Swim and strength training
(3 days swimming, 3 days jogging, 3 days weight training)




No comments:
Post a Comment